James Maskell has been looking for levers to create significant positive change in healthcare for a decade. Following education in healthcare economics, James has played a part in building a number of successful businesses in the integrative medicine space.
James has lectured to audiences of physicians on three continents, including four years on faculty of “Heal Thy Practice”, Integrative Health Symposium and George Washington University’s Metabolic Medicine Institute.
James has been featured on platforms as diverse as TEDMED, Huffpost Live, TEDx and more, as well as writing for blogs like Huffington Post, KevinMD, thedoctorblog and MindBodyGreen. He sees a unique aperture to help fuse the massive potential of digital health and functional approaches to accelerate the evolution of medicine.
James is also a co-founder of The Functional Forum, the world’s largest integrative medicine conference. On the first Monday of every month, this new concept in practitioner education, “medutainment”, brings together the latest health news, functional medicine research, practice development and health technology in an upbeat, entertaining way.
- James talks about how he turned frustration with the flaws in the medical system into action to accelerate the mainstream availability of functional and integrative medicine.
- How James started The Functional Forum as a meetup group in New York, NY and leveraged technology to grow it into an international movement that reaches more than 9,000 health professionals monthly.
- James tells us his vision for where integrative medicine is going in the next 10 years.
- What is a micropractice? And why is it so important for doctors to create their own practice?
- Changing medicine from a reactive practice to a proactive practice.
- Why positioning to make sense the end user is important in natural medicine and why functional medicine is getting so much attention.
- Leveraging the synergy between technology and medicine to reach more doctors and patients.
- Why getting Naturopathic Doctors and Functional Medicine Practitioners to the forefront is the only sustainable path for America.
- Participating in your own health to to accelerate the evolution of medicine and why the doctor is no longer the hero in the journey.
- Finding ways to get data on yourself.
- Four key areas of health: diet, stress, detoxification, the microbiome, and finding a provider to kick in the placebo effect.
- How James is like a good alexander microbe in his ability to organize excite community into action (see Dr. Leo Galland’s lecture in May’s Functional Forum: Community in Medicine to get in on the joke).
- Look for The Evolution of Medicine Summit Part II: Healthcare From Scratch September 21-28th.
- What studying the microbiome teaches us.
- Organize your community and find or start a Functional Forum Meetup in your town.
“Take initiative. The thing about initiative is that it can’t be given, it has to be taken.” – James Maskell
Links & Resources
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, leave us a review on iTunes, and share the show with your friends, colleagues, and your doctor.
Dr. DeFrancesco partners with patients seeking a smarter & sustainable approach to health by doing the detective work to uncover root cause(s) and design a personalized and comprehensive plan that includes nutrition, lifestyle, functional medicine, and root cause therapies.
This approach benefits people who are seeking help with chronic inflammatory conditions, autoimmunity, thyroid conditions, digestive problems, brain health, and health optimization.